Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Duff


If you speak to any of my friends they'll happily tell you how I wasted my breath ranting about how The Duff was going to be so stupid. From looking at the previews only about twice but seeing who the actors were I easily made assumptions about how this movie was going to be another cliche teenage movie. It sorta was... but at the same time it wasn't.

The main character Bianca is played by the actress Mae Whitman. Bianca is your average highschool Senior from our day and age. She has an idgaf attitude, a healthy body (meanig she actually consumes foods), and an obsession with zombies. Bianca also has a sharp tongue like a lot of teenagers nowadays. When she was first introduced on the screen I was instantly drawn in. I loved all the quirky thinks about her and how it was incredibly easy to relate. 

I don't want to spoil the movie because this isn't exactly a true movie review. I'm not recommending this movie to anyone because I actually don't care. However, I am trying to put the thought that sparked from this movie into words. Now Bianca has a hot next door neighbor. He's a smart, quirk, jock but also an a-hole because who would want to watch a movie with absolutely perfect characters.
Then we have your typical, and yes cliche queen bee of highschool. Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't just one head biotch that rules an entire school. This doesn't happen - atleast not at my school, since my highschool is a charter school. Anyways but this girl lives with the idea that there is no life after highschool and wants nothing more than a silly homecoming crown. She's also mean to Bianca and really has no backstory whatsoever,

Now let me tell you about Bianca's two bestfriends from where this movie actually stems from. Bianca's friends are hot. Atleast that's what every guy in her school thinks. They see Bianca's two friends as absolutely gorgeous and they see Bianca as the simple approachable one that you usually have to go through in order to get to the prize. This makes Bianca a Duff. An Unhappy one if I do say so myself.

Anyways I'm not going to go inot detail because as I said see the movie yourself if you care. But what I am going to say is that Bianca makes something of being a Duff. No she does not wear the label as the badge - because have you not realized that labels are so overrated. Instead Bianca decides to make a label of herself. She makes herself as presentable as her personality. She changes her reality.

That's what I want to talk about. Changing your personality... Gaining confidence...deciding your future. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to things like that. I'm not saying thatt I don't have an idea of what I want my life to turn out to be. I do. I know exactly what I have planned for me.. but  what I can't seem to do for myself is the whole internal part. I don't know how to be confident. I don't know how to handle my emotions. I know I have time to figure all these things out... but whatever I find it helpful and inspiring when I watch films, and read book about characters who do more...

- Ony

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to let it all out in the comment section. Do remember that there's a difference with being rude and being honest :)